Here I am, after about a year of inactivity on the blog I’m ready to come back … or at least I try!
As it’s already February 2018 I think it’s time to make a summary of the highlights of the 17/18 season, but this time in a different key. A journey started in Levi and ended in Shladming, passing through Val d’Isere, Zagreb and Kitbuehel, alternating World Cup races with the European Cup, FIS and Italian Championships. In short, those and many others, but this is also the good part of my job.
I will go straight to the point, I will make a chronicle of the most beautiful and most feared tracks:
- Levi: on the Lapp snow I always find some difficulty when skiing, the ground is wet and rough but the landscape would be envied by anyone. The most desired thing: the reindeer that this year has won Neureuther!
- Val d’Isere: I admit this, I have a weakness for this slope. Here I made my debut in World Cup in 2015, and in 2016 I got the best result, 13th. This year among snow, fog and other things I did not qualify. The most vivid memory: my blue bum at the start gate!
- Kronplatz: One of the most beautiful European Cup parallels ever. I love being side by side with the challenger, this makes me even strive for more, a racy track in which you have to push at each corner, a mixture between a slalom and a giant. I would say that I can feel happy with my 5 place. The most spectacular thing: the fireworks when you jumo the banner halfway down the slope!
- Val di Fassa: always CE and always SL, I love this track, I feel it under my feet and I like the movements of the ground. The snow is always hard and allows me to deform the ski and maximize the speed at the gate exit. The thing that I bring home: a second place that gives me confidence!
- Madonna di Campiglio: is the Italian night race by definition. Just before the Christmas holidays, tourists and ski lovers gather in this stadium to celebrate the real champions and to have just a few beers at the end of the race. A slope in counter-tendency, not the easiest, with always challenging tracks and crossed-out track. The keyword: “lean”.
- Adelboden: a track, a wall. Barred and with 60% steep degree, only for the most daring. With knees bent left and right I managed to get to the bottom but with a little effort. The most beautiful thing: the stomach that jumps inside you as if you were on a roller coaster at the entrance to the last wall!
- Kitzbuehel: Austria is known to be the temple of the ski, and here I finally managed to conquer the 22nd place. Under the snow and with competitive hunger I have interpreted well the angled track and the particular slope. The most stylish thing: my new pink rackets!
- Shladming: THE TEMPLE OF SLALOM! I could not describe this race, maybe I would say the most sensatinal and the most emotional. Optimal slope, icy snow and fun track. The most exciting thing: 50,000 fans who shout and play trumpets also when I am competing (and not just Hirscher).
To conclude, this year for those like me who start with numbers around 40, we have often found holes. Qualifications are difficult to hit but from behind we are hungry and we are trying. I always try to give my best but I expect more from myself. I will work even harder to improve and to achieve the goals I have set.
The season is not over yet and I still have a lot to prove !